Developing and operating technology experimental satellites for highly autonomous payloads
SONATE is a nanosatellite engineered as a 3U-Cubesat. The satellite is currently in testing and integration phase and will be launched in April 2019. Launch is planned with a Soyuz carrier rocket from the launch site in Vostochny. After launch SONATE will be operated by SONATE Mission Control Centre of the professorship for space technology assisted with two ground stations owned by chair 8 at Campus Nord of Würzburg University.
Verification of the main/key elements of the two autonomous payloads:
- ASAP-L – an autonomous sensor- and planning system
- ADIA-L – an autonomous diagnosis system
In earth orbit
- Training and education of students in development, building and operation of satellites
- Testing of components of the satellite bus particularly components of the position control system
- Detection and observation of transient illuminous phenomenons in earth atmosphere and nearearth space
- Transmission of pictures to radio amateurs all over the earth by the SSTV method
The pictures show the satellite´s Engineering and Qualification model, one of four on-board computers, the UHF/VHF plus the S-Band ground station and the mission control centre for SONATE.
The project is managed by the Space Agency of the German Aerospace Center (DLR) under grant number 50RM1606 and funded by the Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology (BMWi).
- Tobias Schwarz, Oleksii Balagurin, Tom Baumann, Gerhard Fellinger, Hakan Kayal, Thomas Rapp, Harald Wojtkowiak, "SONATE – 3U Nano Satellite Mission for Highly Autonomous Payloads“, 4S Symposium, Sorrento, Italy, 2018
- O. Balagurin, K. Djebko, G. Fellinger, H. Kayal, A. Schartel, A. Schneider, T. Schwarz, A. Vodopivec und H. Wojtkowiak, „A concept for a nanosatellite mission to demonstrate autonomous system technologies,“ in 11th IAA Symposium on Small Satellites for Earth Observation, Berlin, 2017.
- K. Djebko, T. Schwarz, G. Fellinger, H. Kayal, F. Puppe, A. Schartel, A. Vodopivec und H. Wojtkowiak, „A model-based fault detection and root cause identification system for increased autonomy of small satellites,“ in 11th IAA Symposium on Small Satellites for Earth Observation, Berlin, 2017.
- H. Kayal, O. Balagurin, K. Djebko, G. Fellinger, F. Puppe, A. Schartel, T. Schwarz, A. Vodopivec und H. Wojtkowiak, „SONATE - A Nano Satellite for the In-Orbit Verification of Autonomous Detection, Planning and Diagnosis Technologies,“ in AIAA Space and Astronautics Forum and Exposition , Long Beach, CA, 2016.
- O. Balagurin, G. Fellinger, H. Kayal, T. Schwarz und H. Wojtkowiak, „A Novel Nano Satellite Mission to Demonstrate Autonomous System Technologies,“ in Small Satellites, System & Services Symposium (4S), Valetta, Malta, 2016.
- T. Schwarz, O. Balaruin, K. Djebko, G. Fellinger, H. Kayal, F. Puppe, A. Schartel, A. Vodopivec und H. Wojtkowiak, „SONATE Nanosatelliten-Mission zur Erprobung von hochautonomen Nutzlasten,“ in Deutscher Luft- und Raumfahrtkongress, Braunschweig, 2016.
The beginning of the project: 01/02/2016
Duration: 4 years
Oleksii Balagurin (Projektleiter)
last updated: 23.01.2019 by Moritz Kraus